May 1, 2015 neresidence

There Are So Many Exciting Things Happening At NER!

May 01, 2015

NorthEast Residence really is the company to work for and to support!  In this article I want to highlight and say thank you to those who participated in the Annual Tootsie Roll Drive and to highlight our upcoming Annual Fundraising Dinner where we will highlight the STARS of NorthEast Residence.

Annual Tootsie Roll Drive – Thank you to ALL of you that participated in our Annual Tootsie Roll Drive over the weekend of April 24 and 25, 2015! NorthEast Residence staff, families and clients worked with the Knights of Columbus for their 33rd Annual Tootsie Roll Drive.  Please take a look at the photos of staff, clients and members of the Knights of Columbus working their locations and their shifts over this event. We were generally lucky as far as the weather was concerned.  On Friday there were short bursts of sprinkles and on Saturday most locations enjoyed the spring sunshine.  A couple of locations were sunny but in the wind which made it a little more chilly, but definitely manageable!

The Knights of Columbus have been such an excellent partner and raise a lot of money for NER.  This year the Knights of Columbus received our Volunteer of the Year Award for their dedication and support.  The Knights of Columbus Tootsie Roll Drive is a major fundraising event for NER.  NER receives 90% of the funds that the Knights give away, the other 10% going toward Special Olympics.  The funds we receive for our work at this event goes toward our own NER Special Olympics teams, camps and trips for clients and the staff who go along and also toward the purchase of specialized equipment that are needed by clients.

We could not do it without the dedication of the Knights and the staff, clients and families who work with us to fill the shifts.  We also could not do it without the support of Sams Club in White Bear Lake; Festival Foods in Vadnais Heights, Hugo and White Bear Lake; Walmart in Vadnais Heights, and Cub Foods in Vadnais Heights.  Thank you to each and every one of those locations for allowing us to return year after year.

As we look toward events coming up in the near future, please remember the Annual NER Fundraising Dinner where we can all declare:


The NER Annual Fundraising Dinner will be back again at the Lake Elmo Inn and Conference Center (note the change in location from last year) on May 29, 2015.  Invitations have been sent for this event, so please take a look in your mailbox and send back your RSVP’s.  If you have not received your invitation, please visit our events page to get the details and send in your RSVP.  This is an open event; we encourage you to bring others and to extend invitations to your family and friends to attend.  Our theme this year is “NER Goes Hollywood” – We encourage you to “Dress – up, dress down or come as you are” there is no expectation that you have to dress up, please, please just consider coming to our fun event.  As we have in years past, we will have a live and silent auction – new this year will be a photo booth, a wine and craft beer pull, heads and tails and maybe some celebrity sightings.  Please consider joining us!   The proceeds from this event will go toward the adaptive equipment needs of our clients.  We currently are in the process of purchasing a wheelchair accessible van so the funds we receive will go toward the cost of this wheelchair accessible van. In addition to this purchase there are other areas of adaptive equipment needs that our clients need now and will need in the future, such as ramps being built on home entry ways and remodeling of bathrooms to allow for easier access to the bath tub and shower.  We know that many of our clients are aging and the funds that are raised from this event will go specifically for these adaptive needs for clients.

Save the date and look for more information on our next fundraising event – our 15Th annual “Driving for Dreams” Golf Event held at Indian Hills Country Club on August 10, 2015.

It is that time of year when we all get to be outside and enjoy this wonderful Minnesota weather.  It is also the time of the year at NorthEast Residence where we hold a number of events that you should plan to attend.  Please mark your calendars for the events which have been planned and stay tuned for events that are still in the planning stages – we will announce them in the upcoming newsletters!

NorthEast Residence really is the company to work for and to be involved with.  We have a number of initiatives that I mentioned in the March newsletter to increase our staffing levels and to retain quality staff.  We continue with these efforts and encourage you to let others know of this great company for career opportunities.  Reach out to our Human Resources Department at 651-765-0217, ext. 21.

Heidi Holste, Executive Director